Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Day Two

Day two has ended -- I'm almost half-way through the week! Things went well today. The students are really listening well. I'm not sure if that's because they just always listen, or if they're scared of me, or if they just don't know how to take me! I've tried making jokes, but they just kind of look at me like I've lost my mind.

Today we were reading about General George Washington helping a Tory woman after his soldiers had taken food from her garden. We were discussing why he told his soldiers they shouldn't have done that. He told them that because she was a woman, they should not treat her that way, regardless of which side she supported. I took the opportunity to tell the "gentlemen" in my class how important it was that they treat women with respect. One said, "Like when we're in line, we let the girls go in front of us." I told him they don't have to do that, since we're in lines several times every day (and I know if the guys are always near other guys, the will ALWAYS talk!). I followed it with, "But if you do, you'll get brownie points from me!" Then I discovered at what point children transition from literal thinkers to abstract thinkers. Everyone's eyes brightened, they sat up straighter, and said "we get brownies??!!" I, of course, had to clarify (with the hint that brownies could be possible in the future)

On a different note, I have a possibility of an apartment. My parents are coming up tonight to go look at it with me. I'll keep you posted on how that goes.

No comments: