Thursday, April 3, 2008

Wednesday's What vs. Weekly What

Ok, so the Wednesday's What isn't working out so well. It seems I've posted it on Thursday or Friday more than anything! I think I will re-name it! It will now be called: The Weekly What.

I figure this way if I don't post it on Wednesday, I can still post on the next day without being fussed at by my "readers".

Before I get to that, though, I just wanted to comment on my students. I don't write about them as much as I would like to, so I'm going to make an effort to mention something that has happened recently. For example . . .

Today we were reviewing for a History Quiz tomorrow (which I still need to write -- yikes!!). We reviewed for about 10-15 minutes. It seemed to be getting a little boring and I finished asking all the questions I felt needed to be reviewed. Then I said something like this:

"This quiz on William Penn will be pretty easy. It's basically, he wasn't a Quaker, he became a Quaker. His father wanted him to be an English Navy Admiral, William didn't believe in fighting. The king owed his father money, so he gave William land in the New World. William said, let's name it ;Sylvania'. . . ." Anyway, you get the idea.

I basically summed up the entire chapter in about 60 seconds. When I finished, they did something that surprised me. I knew they were listening pretty well, because they were all looking at me with that, "this is different" look. I walked to the back of the room to set my book down, and they all started clapping! It was really funny. But my revelation came later. I realized just how encouraging my class can be. They may only be in third grade, but they really have a way of saying the right thing, or giving the right picture at just the right time. I only wish I would have realized this several months ago. Oh, well -- I have the next 8 1/2 weeks or so to develop this!!

Weekly What: "What is the most encouraging thing another person has done for you?"

2 comments:

Karen @Snakes-Snails-Puppydogtails said...

Supported me... :)
I always appreciated the cards and hugs the kids give me.

Keilah said...

most encouraging thing....well i would have to say it is the cards and emails and pacakges I get from people at home. I get lonely, even being in a city of 7 million, so MAIL is a great thing to get! Also, I think the life lessons and ideas of my sisters and brother on their blogs, along with sharing how their lives are going makes me feel not so alone! I love hearing about you all! love you kelly - have a great day!
ps the kids are so encouraging to you because you're a WONDERFUL teacher!